Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th

Today ended up being a wonderful day. We woke up around 8:30 to Dr. Hale's morning rounds visit. Kevin's ANC count spiked up to 2000, which is far above the 500 minimum, and quite the rebound from 0 just a few days ago. Kevin's infection has cleared up in both lines. They still have us doing vancumecyn dwell flushes, and we have to alternate lines. Its a bit confusing for us, so I imagine that friends and family have no idea what I'm talking about. After Kevin was released from the hospital he went with Rachel, and I went back to the Target House with grand intentions. Let's see, I was going to do laundry, do the dishes, play some pool with friends I've made at the T.H., and run 7 miles on the treadmill in the gym. But first I figured I'd lay down and watch a little t.v...........I woke up on the couch 4 hours later! My afternoon plans were great in theory but apparantly my body thought else wise. I suppose after only a couple hours of sleep the other night (3 a.m. flight, following several hour delay at Metro Det) I needed to catch up. I eventually caught up with Rachel, Mike and the boys for dinner. We went to the big 4th of July fireworks show on the bluffs by the Mississippi River. Kevin did wonderful. He very much enjoyed the fireworks and did very little complaining. He was a little tired waiting for them to start (45 minute delay), but once they started he (and Scotty) were captivated. None of us brougt a camera, which was a shame, because the view was surreal. The ride back to the T.H. was pretty awful with down town traffic, but Kevin rested peacefully in the back seat. I didn't get him back until a little after midnight, and he was ready to hit the sack. He patiently waited for me to disconnect one of his 1 hour meds, and fix a TPN alarm that was going off on his pump. There seemed to be little annoying variables like this today, that Kevin didn't let get to him. Kevin told me when his TPN was running smoothly, that he had a great night. Tomorrow we plan on seeing Wall-e at the movie theatre. That's what's been going on here. I hope everybody had a great 4th!

Take Care,


1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm so happy Kevin was able to leave and enjoy the 4th with you guys.I'm so happy to hear he continues to fight and have a super hero like immune system. I was up north since last Thursday and couldn't read the blog, but thought about you guys every day and everyone up there was saying daily prayers. MIss you guys and take care.