Sunday, June 22, 2008

chemo done this cycle

I'm writting this at about 10 p.m. watching Kevin sleep peacefully, and hoping he can stay that way until his next scheduled "bathroom break" at midnight. Truth be told, his bathroom breaks are the furthes thing from scheduled at this point. This is the portion of chemo Kevin dislikes the most. Just like last cycle Kevin's vomiting episodes have slowed down (great right?), but now he's completely lost control of his bowels. I won't go into too much detail, but it's not fun for either one of us. Since 7:30 he's had to get everything on his bed changed 3 times. He's been incredibly strong though. He gets real upset when he realizes it happened, but once we get him cleaned up, I let him lie on my made up couch/bed until the nurses get his linnens changed. They also took him off Adavan today, which means he's down to 1 nausea medicine. He's perhaps a little more with it, but still very tired both physcially and emotionally. The chemo is over though for this round, and his bodies reactions to it should decrease every day. Tomorrow is considered his rest day, but I'm sure he'll still have some side effects to deal with. Then on Tuesday,day 0 is the stem cell infusion. Other then the odor, it doesn't usually elicit severe side effects. My shift started at 5 today as Rachel took Scotty and Mike to the airport. Tomorrow I pick my sister, Laura up at 1 p.m. He's pretty excited to see her. We're still hoping Kevin get's out of the Hospital on Wednesday, but his body obviously needs to calm down before then. I just noticed today that Kevin's received several cards. Thank you to everybody! His face lights up with every envelope he gets!

Take Care,

Eric

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad things are going so well with Kevin. That makes me very happy. Thank you Eric for your very kind words. It helps to read of the support we have. Thank you Rachel for listening to me this morning. this has been a tough round and it will only make her tougher. We will make it and come out the other side stronger. Just like ya'll will. Hope stem cells go well. We get ours tomorrow also. Much love, Terri and Heather
www.caringbridge.org/visit/heatherbraswell